Sunday, October 10, 2010

Recently...

I have so much to update… I think I’ll just give little paragraph snapshots of what’s going on in our world. It might seem a bit disjointed, but I want to share everything. And then I’ll start blogging more so I don’t have a month worth of updating to do next time!

Our Compassion DTS students arrived just over a week ago, from all over the globe, to spend six months dedicated to learning more about Jesus and sharing his love with the hurting and broken all over the world. There are 63 students total, ranging from 18-26 years old, and they are already making themselves right at home here at the U of N.

These Compassion DTS students are very busy. Their week includes, in no particular order: quiet times, worship, intercession, inductive bible study teaching, daily lectures, small groups, one on ones, community outreach, ohana contributions (these are their daily work duties), outreach preparation, journals, full campus worship services, and they sleep and eat in there somewhere too. The first few weeks of DTS are really tough as they adjust to living in community, possibly deal with homesickness, and are immediately thrown into a busy schedule where God starts working on their hearts right away. Please keep our students in your prayers as this DTS continues, that God would do amazing things in each of their lives during this time.

Johnny and I are involved on campus and in the DTS on different levels. Johnny is a part of everything that our students are doing, he has also been learning to run the sound system for our full campus gatherings (1,000 plus people!) and he will be running the sound by himself every Thursday this quarter, as well as helping out where needed during our YWAM 50th Anniversary Celebration in November. Needless to say, he is busy from sun up to sun down with his responsibilities on campus.

I am in a slightly different place now, having a toddler, and Ezra and I are finally settling into a rhythm. Our school leaders are wonderful and they have made it abundantly clear that they want me to have the freedom to be a mommy first, and that Ezra is my first priority. Therefore, Ezra and I spend a lot of our time on campus, but I have the freedom to come and go as his schedule for napping, meals, etc, necessitates. We make sure to be at any school function where Ezra will not be a distraction, for instance, I am co-leading a small group with another staff mom. We have six girls from four nations in our small group, and I will personally be one on one discipling three of them. It is a really great opportunity for me to get to know some of our students more intimately and I am so looking forward to those relationships! But we tend to spend time with the other mommies and toddlers on campus (usually at the playground) when our students are in lecture or any other class setting where Ezra might become a distraction. It has worked out really well, but I have to admit it is a strange feeling for me. I am very used to running schools and being a part of every event and every decision in regards to a DTS. I feel a little out of the loop sometimes and I miss getting as much quality time with my students, but I am so thankful for the flexibility I have here because I know that Ezra is supposed to be my first focus. Please pray that God would allow me to build great relationships with some of the other moms here on campus, as that is a very strong desire in my heart!

Johnny and I have been asked to lead an outreach team together to London and South Africa. We spent a great deal of time praying and discussing our decision and we have decided that Johnny will lead the team for the entire outreach, however Ezra and myself will only accompany the team to London for the first half. We wanted to wait until Ezra was a bit older to take him to South Africa. We are really excited for the opportunity to lead this team, and although it’s bittersweet for me to not be able to go on the entire outreach, I could not be more excited or proud of my husband for leading this team! He will do a fantastic job! Please pray that our team will be handpicked from the Lord and that our outreach contacts would lead to a fully booked outreach and that all of our finances would come in for the trip.

We had the opportunity to volunteer at the Ironman World Championship yesterday. Ezra and I started our day outside of our apartment, watching the bikers ride past our house. Then we went swimming at a place called, Children’s Beach and from where we were wading in the water we could see the athletes running their marathon. Then for the evening we went down to the finish line for our security shift, and our staff and students stood as a human wall almost at the finish line and got to keep pedestrians off the road, but also got to cheer and scream and encourage these world class athletes. It was so moving to watch their faces on the big screen as they crossed the finish line and realized what they had just done. Their dedication and ambition and courage is overwhelming. I am so glad we got to be a part of that experience!

We’ve only been here for just over a month, but Johnny and I feel so overwhelmingly blessed. We were scared and nervous to give up our entire life and come to a brand new place, but we knew it was right. In our heads. Now, after being here, our hearts know it too. We still get homesick, and everyday I miss someone that I love who is not here, but God has given us such a peace and assurance that this is where he wants us.

We have been warmly and lovingly received with open arms into this ohana (family) and we are so grateful to be a part of this dts and this campus. Our school leaders are phenomenal people and we are trying to learn as much from them as possible during this time.Our staff and our students love us and love our son and make sure that we know it everyday. We get to serve our students and then together we get to go overseas and serve people with the love of Jesus.

Sometimes I wake up and wonder what I did to deserve such an amazing job.

I am so thankful that I get to be a missionary.

I am so thankful that I get to raise my son in this beautiful cultural melting pot.

I am so thankful to be married to a man who loves Jesus so much.

I am so thankful for the freedom to worship my Jesus and share his love with others.

I am so thankful for this life I have been blessed with.

I am so thankful for this face.

I am so thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I love this and I love you all so much!! I am praying for you and I hold you in my heart. Love, Anna

    ReplyDelete